Aegis

Senior Nights at BHS

Grace Sanders, Editor In Chief

The last time any player steps onto the field, into the pool, or onto the court to represent Bloomington High School at home can be an emotional experience. Some students are sad to close that chapter of life. Others are elated, ready to be done with high school and the activities that come with it. But, most are somewhere in between the two; wishing for five more minutes, yet excited for the path ahead. This month, cheerleading, girls’ swimming, volleyball, football, girls’ tennis, boys’ soccer, and marching band all had their senior nights.

Different sports celebrate their senior nights in various ways.  Volleyball, for example, has the tradition of decorating the gym with streamers, balloons, and posters. They also raffle off tons of prizes and give away a 50/50 prize at the end of the night. “Senior night was very memorable,” said senior Avery Carr, “It’s sad to think about how that was our last regular season game ever. It all just flew by.”

Football, cheerleading, and band all share a senior night, taking place on the last home game of the regular football season. The football players play on the field, the band performs in front of the home crowd, and the cheerleaders stunt and cheer for everyone—all for the last time. Senior football player, Ben Wright, said “It makes you realize that your sport is finally coming to an end and that all the work you’ve done has paid off. It’s kind of scary, actually.” This year, there were sixty-five seniors who were announced as they walked down the track alongside loved ones. “Senior night made me feel old and accomplished,” said senior band member, Yarira Aguirre, “My advice to younger players is to always stay motivated and work hard. Enjoy it.”

Senior nights are abrupt reality-checks. It can give players and parents alike a shock- that they are growing up and their time in high school is almost over. Even though it can get emotional, senior nights also represent the journey that these students had to get to where they are today. They are a commemoration- a celebration- of past accomplishments and the bigger things ahead. That said, the best and most prominent feeling a senior night evokes was said by senior football player, Vashawn Abbott, “I’m going to miss it.”

The student news site of Bloomington High School
Senior Nights at BHS