Aegis

Cross Country Earns State Rankings and Hardware

CeCe Carr, General Staff

Bloomington’s Boys Cross-Country team, ranked 2nd in state brought home major hardware this season, including a State trophy. As a team, they won Big 12 and Intercity, breaking University High School’s eight-year winning streak! The boys team gained momentum by winning the season’s first three meets, and then placing 2nd in Peoria’s large invitational, only one point away from tying with 2A’s number one state ranked team, Chatham Glenwood.  The team obviously has great chemistry. “It’s just the boys and the trail. It’s a fun team that makes all other stresses disappear,” said Junior, Bradyn Olmstead. The boys team went on to finish their season with the first ever State Trophy in BHS history.  They pulled away with a one-point lead over Kaneland, which gave them a 3rd place trophy.

Girls Cross Country, also ranked within the top 25 teams of State, won the Big 12 Conference Championship for the second time in school history, the first time in 33 years! As a team, the ladies made it to Sectionals, which has also not been done in quite some time. Individual runner, Kaitlin Skeate went on to make All State honors, coming in 18th, with a time of 17:51.  The girls have not had a state representative since Ashley Verplank in 2007.  “Everything went so well for us this season.  We had so much fun together!” exclaimed Skeate.

Next year should bring in even more excitement as both boys and girls have several returnees.

The student news site of Bloomington High School