The student news site of Bloomington High School

Aegis

Solar Eclipse – Did it live up to the hype?

Grace Sanders

On August 21, 2017, the United States saw its first total solar eclipse since 1979. The 1,412 students at Bloomington High School, including myself, saw their first solar eclipse ever. With the help of 1,400 special eclipse glasses, students and staff at Bloomington High were able to see a partial solar eclipse right on school grounds at the end of the first day of school.

A lot of students were quickly underwhelmed by the eclipse. But for me, just the simple fact that we were able to see such a rare natural event was awesome. I thought it was great that we were given the opportunity to take the time out of our school day and were given special glasses to see the eclipse.

Although it was nice that we got to see the eclipse, I for one, was expecting it to be a slightly different experience. I knew that Bloomington wasn’t in the path of totality–where the moon completely blocks out the sun’s rays– but I did expect the moon to block out the sun enough to make it much darker outside. I definitely think the eclipse was given a lot of unnecessary hype that set some unrealistic expectations for students.

Once I watched the eclipse for a few minutes, it quickly got underwhelming. Aside from periodically putting my glasses back on, I didn’t watch the rest of the eclipse after those few minutes. Even though I was a little bored of the eclipse, it was still really fun to be able to view the eclipse and have fun while hanging out with my friends and classmates while doing it. As an added bonus, we even got some time out of our classes to do so.

Even if the eclipse wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to see an eclipse along with the rest of my school.