The student news site of Bloomington High School

Aegis

School start times – up for debate

Kamryn Hoegger

Whether you’re rushing into the doors or settled in the class you may be able to say one thing: It’s too early.

To some, rising in the early hours is close to barbaric. Early morning wake-up calls don’t allow students to rest for the needed amount of time, roughly nine hours, which in turn does not allow students to focus in class. However, hours are not the only concern, but also the timing of sleep that is needed for prime health. Sleep deprivation can cause serious health issues such as eating disorders, obesity, diabetes, depression, and anxiety.

Many schools around the country are opting for later start times while some never moved to early hours to begin with. Locally, Unit 5 changes their start time last year.

Nevertheless, others argue strongly for keeping the current start times. If schools started and ended later, extracurricular activities would be delayed an, students would still be lacking sleep. Not only that but after-school schedules would also be altered. What of those parents who rely on their teen to complete tasks after school? The later class gets out, the less time to do non-school related tasks. The most popular argument may be the fact that students would just stay up later anyway. Schedules would be pushed back and in order to complete them bedtime would also be pushed back.

The debate is nowhere near over. So, pick a side and argue your case but for now, get to bed!

School start times – up for debate